Saturday 11 July 2015

An ode to the Internet!

OK so this is a little off topic, but when I go to bed and try to sleep, I have the most crazy words and stories running through my head, I have to get up and write them down before I can sleep (Thank you Ever note!) Which leads me nicely onto this blog topic!

And ode to the Internet.

My first experience of you was aged about 16, crammed into my best friends spare room, which was just that, spare and full of junk. A tiny box room, with a single bed, a huge computer screen and a modem... what ever the f*ck that was... balanced on a rickety Argos computer desk. One of those desks that would become commonplace in every household of the 90's. 

I remember the screech and the alien sound of you in your infancy. Waiting an age to get into a 'chat room'; (my friend was so excited, I really couldn't have cared less,) only to be kicked off because my friends mum wanted to use the land line. (yeah! for real - you couldn't use the land line and the Internet at the same time, and yes, people used the land line religiously!) 

I couldn't wait to get back outside and 'see' people. The thought of chatting to some weirdo in a faraway place scared the pants off me and felt, well, weird! 

My next memory was at sixth form, I remember being huddled round a screen with some boys watching a foot ball clip. I stepped back and wondered what all the fuss was about. What was this Internet thing? Surely it will never take off. Thank f*ck cos I hated typing.

Truth is, I just wasn't that into you, I couldn't see how you could make my life any better, and to be honest - you scared me.

Now I carry you round in my pocket. My three year old daughter knows more about downloads and you tube and the pitfalls of having no WiFi.

Now you connect me to women and girls all around the world. I'm able to connect with people who I would never in a lifetime meet.  I'm able to make friendships and even make a living out of you. 

You connect me to people, information, facts, the world. You allow me to reach out and help. You allow me to share my gifts with potentially - the world. 

You allow my best friends daughter and my daughter be virtual best friends, even though they live 1000's of miles apart and have only met once. You allow me and my two best friends keep in contact even though we live in different continents, counties and time zones. We can still communicate like we did when we lived together - whats-apping 'what do you think' pictures from changing rooms and the like.

And although sometimes life is much more simpler with out you. I thank you. Thank you for making my life so rich and abundant. For keeping me in touch with loved ones. For connecting me with souls I need to be connected with. For giving me the information. 

Thank you, thank you thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment